So I just started to look at bdsmlr as a serious alternative, and decided to jot down some impressions, missing features and bugs along the way. This looked like the best place to post them.
First up, the main blog page view, in this case https://joshslater.bdsmlr.com/
- Clicking the notes counter opens the notes overlay at the same place, related to the label, with no regards for how the page is scrolled. This often makes part of this overlay be positioned outside of the browser window. I would rather have it always be in view.
- The notes overlay allows for empty messages if you happen to click the Send button. It should probably be greyed out until some content is entered (and the input box is not that obvious, but that is a styling issue) Also "Post" is probably a better name than "Send". It's not really a chat window.
- It is not possible to edit or remove notes that I can see. (For example the empty ones I happened to make)
- The note counter did not increase as a result of the empty comments I made on my own post. Perhaps your own comments shouldn't be counted...
- Clicking "show menu" closes the notes overlay. Clicking the notes counter doesn't close the menu.
- Only "show menu" has a mouseover tooltip.
- The "show menu" menu appears way over to the left, and not at the icon.
- I'm worried that the "show menu" menu is completely different in appearance than the cogwheel menu, as that indicates the UI is built manually not using frameworks or abstractions.
- Super petty detail, but "show menu" is all lower case, the items in the menu is capitalized and the items in the cogwheel menu is all upper case.
- When scrolling and getting close to the first post a perpetual "Loading..." appears in the lower corner.
Overall pretty good, with some easy fixes. I posted removing of notes as a proper feature request.
Please sign in to leave a comment.